Thursday, February 16, 1984

Jaworski, Arnaiz blast sale (Feb. 16, 1984)

Toyota’s stunning sale to Beer Hausen left hurt feelings among its players, particularly the backcourt tandem of Robert Jaworski and Francis Arnaiz.

JAWORSKI, ARNAIZ BLAST SALE
‘Unfair and immoral’

By Al Mendoza
Tempo
Published Friday Feb. 17, 1984

Robert Jaworski yesterday threatened to quit basketball while Francis Arnaiz branded as “highly immoral” his sale to Beer Hausen.

“I was hurt,” said Jaworski. “Most of us were not consulted about the sale. The management made a totally unfair decision when they sold out to Beer Hausen.”

Jaworski and Arnaiz, together with nine other Toyota players, were sold to Beer Hausen Tuesday in a management decision that shocked millions of basketball fans.

Said Jaworski: “I will not take this sitting down. I’m not a piece of candy. I’m a human being. They should respect me.”

Arnaiz said the Delta Motor Company, owner of Toyota, acted in bad faith when it sold the team to Beer Hausen.

“Hindi ako por kilo,” Arnaiz wailed. “I’ve been with Toyota for 12 years and I’ve been very loyal to management. Why must they do this to me?”

Arnaiz said he will question the sale no matter what happens.

Arnaiz added: “I never wanted to be sold. All along, I thought everything was fine despite some intramurals within the team. Then we woke up in the morning and read the screaming headlines that Toyota as sold. What has become of our morals?”

Arnaiz added that his contract with Toyota “was just a piece of paper.” He said that there’s something deeper than that piece of paper, and that’s loyalty, personal feelings and self respect.

Said Arnaiz: “I’ve never made a mistake in my 12 years of stay with Toyota. Now, why have they done this to me? Why wasn’t I consulted?”

A pall of gloom descended on the Toyota headquarters in Bel Air, Makati yesterday even as Jaworski, Arnaiz, Arnie Tuadles and Chito Loyzaga made a surprise visit there to review matters.

A Toyota source said that before the sale to Beer Hausen was made, some Toyota players had received promises from Toyota management that they will be released.

“But all of a sudden, the sale was made, causing anger and hurt feelings among majority of the players,” the source said. 

Jaworski and Arnaiz are now questioning the validity of the sale.

“This matter is not resolved,” said Jaworski, “you could say that Philippine basketball is in a real shocker. As of now, I do not even intend (incomplete)

Arnaiz said he has always kept his composure in the past. “This, however,” said Arnaiz. “I'll have to stand up and speak up my mind I have been wronged. I know who is right. And I'm willing to face consequence. Whatever comes out of (incomplete)

No comments:

Post a Comment